Skip to main content
District HomeStaff PortalStudent Mobile Campus
Blair Ridge Public School
Home of the Bobcats

Use the DDSB School Locator to see the local school that serves your home address. If you are within the Blair Ridge P.S. catchment area (boundary), the following information outlines how to register your child for school. 

How to register your child:

If your child is currently attending a DDSB school, please inform your child's current school that he/she is leaving, then contact Blair Ridge at 905-620-1221 (ext. 0) to inform us of your registration. 

If your child has NEVER attended a DDSB school, you may submit your child's registration online. Once your form is received and reviewed, the school will prepare an information package and contact you by email once your registration package is ready for pick up. When returning your child's information package to the school, you will need to provide the documents listed below in order to complete your child's registration. It is important to tell your child's current school that they are leaving. Students cannot be registered in two publicly funded schools at the same time.

If your child is currently attending a school, it is important to advise your chiild's current school that your child will be leaving as they must withdraw the student before he/she can be registered at Blair Ridge. When If possible, please pick up a registration package from our office prior to your scheduled registration appointment.

When submitting your completed registration package, we require the following documents:

  • Proof of age (birth certificate, passport, or birth registration, etc.)
  • Child's immunization record
  • Proof of address. Must have one custodial parent's name and address and dated within the past 60 days. The following documents are accepted: A tax bill or assessment, hydro, water, or gas bill. Renters can include a copy of their property insurance certificate (we cannot accept lease agreement without additional documentation)
  • A copy of your child's most recent report card
  • If your child is born outside of Canada, please provide a copy of both sides of the immigration or citizenship documents
  • If there is a custody agreement in place, we require a legal copy of the signed court documents
  • Any information regarding special needs, IEP's or involvement of outside agencies is also helpful at this time.

Commonly Asked Questions:

Why do you limit the type of documents you accept for registration?

With over 700 students, Blair Ridge has a high enrolment and we are allocated staffing based on students who reside within our area. Out of area students also put a stress on the traffic in and around our school. We must ensure all families attending Blair Ridge reside within our boundaries and documents such as a mobile phone bills, drivers licence, or pay stubs allow an individual to change their address without any supporting documentation.

When do I find out who my child's teacher will be?

Class assignments are posted online and in our east vestibule the Thursday before the first day of classes. Due to privacy issues, student names are not listed, you must know your child's Ontario Education Number (OEN) to look up their information. New kindergarten students will receive a letter by mail in August. 

We don't have a written custody agreement, is this an issue?

Not everyone requires a written custody agreement but the school is obligated to release a child to either parent unless there is a written legal agreement indicating that a parent is parent is not permitted access to his/her child during the school day.

When Can I Drop Off My Child's Medical Forms?

The office is open the week before school starts and we encourage you to visit the office and bring all required medications and signed forms during this time. The first day of school can be very chaotic in the office and we would like to be able to take the time to verify all medical information with you. All forms expire on June 30 of each school year. On the last day of school, your child's medication and new physician forms are sent home with your child to allow you to schedule an appoinment over the summer.

We don't have a copy of all immunization records, can we still register?

Yes. The office simply forwards all of your child's immunization information to the Durham Health Department. The Health Department will review your child's immunization record and contact you if he/she is missing any required immunizations. Due to privacy issues, your child's doctor does not forward immunization records to the health department, but you may self-report when your child receives an immunzation by contacting the health department at 905-666-6242 or dropping a copy of the record of immunization off at the school who will forward to the health department on your behalf.